The owner or those authorized by the owner have the following rights to:
- reproduce the work in copies or photo records;
- prepare derivative works based upon the work;
- distribute copies or photo records of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;
- perform the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
- display the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work; and
- perform the work publicly (in the case of sound recordings) by means of a digital audio transmission.
- Certain authors of works of visual art also have the rights of attribution and integrity.